29.3.10

Other Means

One effective way to collect data for my project would be to interview them about their experiences with public transportation and with their feelings about the role it plays in Dublin's day-to-day functioning. This is challenging because people on the move don't always have time to stop and chat, but if I could talk with a few people (even if I can not capture them on video) I would be able to allow my subjects to speak for themselves. It would give my project a bit more of a human dimension, since as it stands now I am mostly assessing their use of public transit from an objective position and trying to capture the setting in which the human interaction takes place. I can hypothesize where my subjects are heading, but I can never really know unless I allow their voices to become part of my project.

The sounds of people on their way to work are often just as interesting as the sights, and so I could definitely see the value of an audio component to my project. While this may sound obvious, one of the things I notice most in City Center as distinctive from New York is how different the sounds are as I walk from one place to the next. I wonder if I will react to the sounds of NYC differently after hearing these for a semester.

So that my project can hopefully be an accurate reflection, I am also hoping to gain some understanding of Dubliners in motion by using sources such as the National Transport Authority, the state body responsible for public transportation in the greater Dublin area (http://www.nationaltransport.ie/) and other informative sources. This would change my archive by presenting me with a greater range of experiences than I am likely to encounter on my own.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of an audio component. It would be really neat to hear if people talk to each other, realize they are going to the same places, form friendships, get directions, help each other,make small talk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good source choice Kaylyn. Also look up some of the newspaper archives (accessible through the UCD library). There have been a number of transport-related stories posted in the Irish Times and Irish Independent in the last few years. The Minister for Transport also publishes regional reports. http://www.transport.ie/

    ReplyDelete