14.4.10

Not Your Usual Commute

These shots, taken around St. Stephen's Green, are of modes of transport used more for tourists than for commuters, but I thought they were interesting and also, I think the growth of Irish tourism has been central in its globalization. Visitors from all over the world in 2009 (according to the National Tourism Development Authority, Failte Ireland) amounted to about 6.5 million, including 3 million British and about 814,000 Americans. In an earlier post, I tried to capture some of the tourist busses (self-advertising) aimed at these- but I think these unusual forms of transit for a city resident are also aimed more at the visitor to the city.








1 comment:

  1. I like how you highlighted the fact that these modes of transportation are inherently "touristy". I also noticed that these modes of transportation are typically much slower ways of getting around. I think this demonstrates the fact that globalized also means fast paced, only tourists have time for leisurely traveling from place to place throughout the city.

    ReplyDelete